Vegetable chutnies are part of routine menu in most of the south indian homes. Most common dish here, even though there are so many variations and methods in prep. Traditional way of making pachadi using mortar and pestle is the most delicious way but as a time saviour we can use mixer jar without compromising in its taste.
Basically pachadi is in crushed form of veggies which is coarsely crushed with essential spices. Best thing is you can add spice/ tangy as per your requirement. This lip smacking tastes best when it is spicy and tangy ridge gourd is rich in dietary fibre and water percentage. Here i added coriander and tomato to enhance its taste.
Serve Beerakaya pachadi with hot rice and melted ghee, you will be on the way to heaven.
Ridge gourd _ 1/4 kg( tender preferably)
Tomato_ 1 big
Coriander leaves_ 1 bunch
Green chilli_ 6 to 7
Ground nuts_ 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds_ 1 tsp
Cumin seeds_ 1 tsp
Garlic pods_ 5 to 6
Oil _ 2 tbsp
Tamarind juice- 1 tbsp/ as per your taste
Mustard seeds_ 1/2 tbsp
Cumin seeds_ 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves 6 to 7
Asafoetida_ a pinch
Red chillies _ 2
Oil _ 1 tbsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add peeled and chopped ridge gourd. Let it cook in low flame.
2. In another pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add ground nut, sesame, green chilli & cumin seeds. Fry in low flame until aroma comes. Switch off. Keep aside & let it cool.
3. When ridge gourd is half cooked add washed chopped coriander leaves and tomato pieces.
4. Cook until soft. Let it cool.
5. In a mixer jar first grind dry ingredients. Add salt Then add cooked Beerakaya pieces, tamarind juice & garlic pods. Coarsely grind. Adjust salt at this stage. Transfer ground chutney in to a bowl.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan add mustard, cumin seeds,red chillies, curry leaves one by one. Last but not least add asafoetida and switch off.
Add seasoning to the pachadi.
Serve with rice. Stays fresh for two days in refrigerator.
Savour your taste buds with pachadi and let me know how it tastes!
Follow me on instagram for regular updates ✔️ stay connected 🌿