Arise is south indian delicacy prepared on sankranti festival. Rice and jaggery are key ingredients for this sweet. Looks complicated but easy recipe when made in small quantities. Small tricks while making sugar syrup and other things turn outin to delicious authentic sweet. Few ingredients calls for this.
Unpolished rice- 1 glass( ration rice)
Jaggery- 3/4 glass
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Oil/ ghee for deep frying
1. Wash and Soak rice for 24 hours. Keep changing water every 4 hours.
2. Drain rice in strainer. Spread on a cotton cloth. Pat dry for 15 minutes.
3. When the rice is semi wet, grind in to fine powder. You can powder it in a flour mill if you are doing in large quantities.
4. Keep rice powder moist. Seive rice powder and keep aside.
5. Heat a pan, add jaggery. Add 1/4 glass water. make syrup.
6. Two string consistency attains add flour
Check syrup for the desired consistency by dropping few drops in water bowl. When it form like a ball, it’s done. Syrup should not spread in the water bowl. This is the right point to add flour in to it
7. Add rice powder slowly and mix well with wooden spatula. Add one teaspoon ghee.
8. Adding flour to the syrup is done carefully, if needed take help of a person to pour the flour/ stirring.
9. Mix well. Make small balls. Press small pooris like by greasing hands with oil.
11. Fry one by one. Remove n press between two spatula s to remove excess oil.
10. Heat oil for deep frying. Fry in medium flame.
12. Store in dry place. Stays fresh for a month.
పోకుండలు/ paakam undalu:
Another sweet delicacy prepared from the above stuff. Just rolled/made in to round shaped dumplings. Tastes delicious.