Well known south Indian delicacy, famous world wide dish. A must in every south Indian kitchen. Healthy Dal& vegetable combination, a complete dish in itself. Even though it’s cooked in every south Indian home, each recipe different from other from taste to preparation method & ingredients. I would like to share my way of cooking sambar in my kitchen. Hope you like it.
Tuar Dal – 1 cup
Drumstick- 2 ( 2 inch pieces)
Bottle gaurd- small piece ( peeled and chopped in to dices)
Turmeric powder- 1/4 th tsp
Tomato – 2 ( chopped)
Tamarind- lemon sized
Onion – 2
Green chillies- 2
Curry leaves few
Salt to taste
Oil or ghee 1 tbsp
Chill powder- 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder- 1/2 tsp
Garlic – few cloves crushed
1. In a pan dry roast Dal. Let it cool
2 . Soak tamarind in warm water. Extract juice when cooled.
3. Chop all vegetable s.
4. Wash Dal & soak for 5 minutes. Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
5. In a pan heat ghee/ oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When splitter add chilli and onion chopped. Add garlic crushed & curry leaves. Add chopped veggies too. Saute.
6. Cook veggies with lid. Add salt and turmeric.
7. Add tamarind juice.
8. Add cooked dal. Add water n adjust salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add sambar powder. Switch off.
10. Add coriander leaves, half tea spoon ghee& 1/4 tsp sambar powder.
11. Serve with hot rice.