Purple small, round variety is best for preparing this recipe. Fresh , tender and less seeds brinjal makes this dish more delicious. Recipe is simple, it calls only few regular ingredients from pantry, but the outcome is special with unique taste. This south Indian famous gutti vankaya masala goes well with hot rice and ghee. Try this out.
Brinjal ( purple, small, round variety) – 1/2 kilo
Onion- 2 medium chopped
Green chillies – 2
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 th tsp
Chilli powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ginger garlic paste one tsp
Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves- handful
1. In a mixer jar coarsely grind onion chopped, green chillies and cumin seeds.
2. Wash and cut brinjal in to four slits. Immerse brinjal in salt water to avoid discoloration. ( Cook immediately after cutting brinjal)
3. Mix one tsp oil, salt and Turmeric powder in a plate. Put this mixture in to slitted brinjals.
5. Heat one tbsp oil in kadai. Add these brinjals in to kadai, keep lid and cook for five minutes. Keep aside.
6. In a kadai heat one tbsp oil, add onion paste, sauté for 2 minutes.
7. Add semi cooked brinjal, mix well gently.
8. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and Chilli powder & lil salt. Mix carefully as brinjals tend to break. Add garam masala ( optional).
9. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice.