A traditional sweet delicacy from South India which is generally prepared at festive season. Winters are the best time to enjoy this sweet with dollop of pure ghee. Jaggery, dal and ghee gives heavenly taste to this sweet. This dish not as difficult as we all think. Simple recipe here it is. Do try in this festive time in a healthy way.
Wheat flour / maida- 2 cups( 3/4 to 1 cup water)
Chana Dal- 1 cup(water 1 1/2 cup)
Jaggery – 3/4 cup/ 1 cup
Cardamom powder 1 tsp
Oil /ghee 100 gms
1. Wash chana Dal and soak for 10 minutes.
2. Knead flour with a pinch of salt like your roti soft dough. Knead well and add 2 tsp oil and let it rest for one hour.
3. Now cook Dal in a pressure cooker. After 2 whistles switch off. Let it cool.
4. Drain excess water if there ( you can use it for rasam prep) . Mash Dal in mixer jar .
5. Cook Dal and jaggery until moisture evoparates. Cook in low flame in heavy bottom handi. Once the mixture thickens let it cool.
6. Devide flour and stuffing sweet in to small balls. Lemon sized balls.
7. Now roll dough flat and fill stuffing like stuffed paratas. Stuff carefully and gently close the potli and press like flat bread with hands or rolling pin.
8. Drizzle ghee on hot tawa , put bobbattu on that , cook in low flame. Gently cup it. And add ghee generously.
9. Make all balls like this and serve hot with ghee. It stays fresh up to 2 to 3 days at room temperature in winter.
1. If you want to make with all purpose flour. For one cup flour add one cup water til it is soft knead until soften and add 4 tbsp oil. Let it sit for 2 to 3 hours.