Ginger pickle/ Allam pachadi is a famous south Indian pickle which is generally consumed in breakfast along with Idli, Dosa and hot pongal. It is most popular dish in Andhra region and commonly prepared in every household, but there may be few variations in preparation. There are two types in ginger pickle..one is instant which you have to consume with in one or two days, where as the other one which i am mentioning here is the one you can preserve for a months. All you need to take care is use moist free ingredients,dried utensils and spatulas while making pickle like you take care for any other Indian pickle prep. This tastes best when prepared with maamidi allam. It is best combo wih Andhra famous pesarattu/ moong dal dosa. It tastes heavenly when served with the right combination. This is my mom’s recipe, infact trusted recipe since many years. our family is a big fan and addicted to this pickle. Happiness is home made!
ginger – 100 gms
jaggery – 100 gms
chilli powder – 100 gms
salt – 3 to 4 tsp
red chilles – 3 to 4
urad dal- 1 tsp
oil – 100 ml
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
curry leaves few
garlic colves – few
asafoetida – 1/4 th tsp
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Powders to be added:
Methi/ fenugreek powder- 1/4 th tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 th tsp(optional)
- use good quality of ginger. Make sure you use moist free materials for pickle.
- Adjust jaggery and tamarind paste as per your liking and taste.
- Use glass jars for storing pickles. do not use plastic or steel.
- Jagery must be added in the last for even mixing of rest of the ingredients.
HOW TO PREPARE:
- wash ginger well. peel off its skin and pat dry.
- chop ginger in to fine, equal pieces for uniform and even cooking.
- In a pan fry heat one tablespoon oil and fry ginger pieces in low flame.
- soak tamarind in half cup warm water for half an hour.
- Mash tamarind well make paste out of it. using strainer seperate pulp n paste. discard pulp.
- Melt jagery n strain if any dirt or unwanted particals.
- In a mixer jar grind ginger pieces in to a fine powder. add tamarind paste to it. mix well. transfer in to a bowl. now add chili powder to it. add salt and jaggery too..add methi and coriander powder. give it a nice mix. check spice n taste. add if needed any like jagery or chili podwer.
- SEASONING: for seasoning heat one table spoon oil . add all seasoning one by one like garlic, urad dal, mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing. let it cool.
- Add this seasoning to the mixed paste. mix well. let it cool.
- Store in an glass air tight jar. Take a spoonful whenever required. dilute with water to desired consitency. use dry spoon. store jar in dry place.