DUM means cooking on slow fire preferably in a handi. Rice, marinated MUTTON with whole spices cooked on slow flame gives authentic flavor and taste to the biryani. Slow cooking in its own juices, retaining moisture and loosing none of its succulent flavours and nutrients. Hence this mutton dum biryani has unique taste and flavorful. Ingredients for this recipe are almost like chicken biryani but the procedure is different. No doubt in saying that the delectable art of dum cooking always dominates Indian palate.
Ingredients needed for this recipe:
Mutton – 1 kilo
Hung curd- 1 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Green chillies – 6 to 7
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Onions – 4 big( sliced)
Whole spices for marination:
Cinnamon sticks 2
Cloves – 6 to 7
Cardamom small- 4
Mace/ javitri- 3
Biryani flower/stone flower – 1 tsp
Star anise- 2
Mint leaves chopped.. handful
Coriander leaves- handful
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Basmati rice – 1 kilo
Shajeera – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Bay leaf – 5
Cinnamon sticks -2
Cardamom – 3 to 4
For dum biryani:
Ghee/ oil -2 tbsp
Saffron few strands
Milk half cup
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Mint leaves & coriander leaves chopped finely few
1. Use old fine basmati rice to enhance flavour.
2. Marinate mutton for 2 to 3 hours. Take tender mutton. Or else you can add raw papaya paste to soften/ fast cooking.
3. Use ghee. Use heavy bottom handi.
1. In a pan heat oil/ ghee and fry onions till crisp and brown. Keep aside.
2. Crush whole spices slightly in a mortar pestle.
3. Wash mutton and add chopped green chillies, crushed whole spices, ginger garlic paste, mint, coriander leaves, chilli powder, lemon juice, salt and few fried onions. Marinate for 3 hours.
4. Take Luke warm milk and soak saffron in it.
5. Wash basmati rice and soak for one hour.
6. In big utensil boil water and and Bay leaf,salt, cinnamon,cardamom, Star anise and 1 tsp oil.
7. Once water boils add soaked rice to it cook till it’s half done.
8. Drain water and put rice in strainer. Let it cool.
9. Take heavy bottom handi heat ghee and add marinated mutton to it and cook till half done with lid closed.
10. Knead flour like a dough to tightly close the handi lid.
11. Open handi lid and add half cooked rice , fried onions, saffron milk, ghee, mint & coriander leaves. Add one more layers of rice. Close the lid with kneaded dough. Keep some weight on that.
12. In low flame cook on dum for 20 minutes. Keep a pan/tawa below the handi if it’s not a heavy bottom one. Other wise it may stick to bottom.
13. Switch off and let it cool.
14. After after 20 minutes open the lid mix biryani carefully and serve.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with raita.