Idli is a south Indian famous breakfast. who doesn’t like hot, puffy, super soft idlis with piping hot ghee and podi? Idli is easily digestible, prepared by soaking lentils, ground and fermented, and then cooked in a steamer. Podi is always my personal favorite combination with idly in spite of many options like chutneys and sambhar. This podi you can prepare and store for a month. In busy mornings this will comes handy and save time. Roasted chana Dal,ghee and idli is very good combination. Carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats is best choice for a healthy breakfast. There are are many varieties in podi, today I would like to share the easiest and tasty podi. For the idli batter recipe please check in my previous recipe POTTIKKALU.
✓ Roasted gram Dal lowers cholesterol and maintain healthy bones
✓ Fermented foods good for gut.
✓ Steamed ildies are good source of protein and healthy.
✓ Ghee is a super food
Cuisine: south Indian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Idli batter- 2 cups
Roasted gram Dal- 1 cup
Red chillies- 5 to 6
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Garlic cloves- 6 to 7
Salt to taste
1. In an idli steamer add water and keep for cooking.
2. Grease idli moulds and fill batter with a ladle.
3. Keep mould rack in steamer and Cook for 15 minutes. Switch off and let it cool.
How to prepare podi:
4. In a pan dry roast cumin seeds and red chillies. Let it cool.
5. In a mixer jar mix roasted chana Dal, garlic,red chillies and salt in to a fine powder.
6. Transfer in to an airtight container.
7. Serve with hot idlies and ghee.