A meal without ladle full of Dal is incomplete in Indian households. Each region of India has it’s favourite selection of Dal, even though most commonly used is that tuar dal but other than that there are many lentils which are widely used in Indian kitchen. The black eyed pea is one of the widely used Dal. There are many different names in different regions like chawli, alasandalu,Lobia etc..Lobia is great source of plant based protein. It is rich in fibre and good for weight watchers. It is also called vegetarians meat and it helps to lower cholesterol,thus boosting heart’s health. Let’s get started in to the recipe.
Course: side dish, main course
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Lobia- 250 gms
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
Green chillies- 2(cut in to pieces)
Turmeric- 1/4th tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves few finely chopped
Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Wash and soak dal for 5 to 6 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker heat oil and add cumin seeds.
3. Add grated onion, green chillies. Let it fry. Add grated tomato and ginger garlic paste too.
4. Once this mixture leaves oil add turmeric, chilli powder,salt and coriander powder. Fry for half minute.
5. Add Lobia sauté for a minute and add water.
6. Close the cooker lid. Pressure cook for 2 or 3 whistles.
7. Open the lid sprinkle garam masala and garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Serve with hot rice.