Vegetable chutnies are always a special attraction in South Indian cuisine. There are varieties of chutnies made from almost all vegetables. Specially roti pachadi(chutney prepared in traditional stone grinder) is a famous all over south India. Chutnies made with ridge gourd/sponge gourd, brinjal, dosakaya, gongura, cabbage are common in every day meal. I have already posted few chutnies like gongura (sorrel leaves) and raw tamarind , being a big fan of these chutnies I started learning from my best friend vani who is an expert in this! So, my series of vegetable chutnies continues on & off because these are my soulful recipies! Not wasting much time let’s have look in the recipe.
✓ Vegetable chutnies are rich in fibre and needs less oil to cook.
✓ Delicious in taste retaining its flavours and all the nutrition from veggies.
Ridge gourd/sponge gourd- 2 medium size(350 gms)
Green chillies- 10
Red chillies- 3 to 4
Tamarind- small lemon sized
Rock Salt to taste
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves few
Garlic – 3 to 4
Oil – 1 tbsp
Urad Dal- 1/4 tsp
Chana Dal- 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Asafoetida- a pinch
Red chillies- 2
Garlic cloves – 3
✓ Always prepare and consume fresh. Refrigerate for one or two days.
✓ Grind in mortar and pestle Coarsely for its authentic taste. Do not grind in to smooth paste.
✓ Adjust salt and Chillies as per your taste. You can check while grinding.
✓ use tender vegetable for chutnies
Cuisine: South Indian
Course: Main course, side dish
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
1. Wash ridge gourd/sponge gourd well. Peel hard ridges.
2. Do not peel off the skin. Cut in to small pieces. Make slits on green chillies.
3. In a pan heat 1 tsp oil and fry Chillies and cumin seeds. Keep aside.
4. In the same pan take 1 tsp oil and add ridge gourd pieces and tamarind. Let it cook . when it is half done add tomato pieces& coriander too. Keep the lid and cook for few more minutes. When it soften/ cooked switch off the flame. Let the mixture cools.
5. In a grinder add green chillies and cumin , grind well now add cooked vegetables and salt,garlic to it. Grind Coarsely.
In a pan heat one tsp oil and add urad dal,mustrd,red chilli,garlic and curry leaves finally asafoetida. Mix this seasoning to the grinded chutney.
Serve with hot rice and ghee.