Fried chicken biryani is one of the famous and delicious dishes from Andhra cuisine. I have tried this earlier but was never satisfied with the end product. Finally, when I tried it last Sunday it turned out amazing. Especially in this pandemic, we can enjoy restaurant-style biryani at home itself. For any recipe, homemade spice powders bring unique flavors to the dish. In this recipe, I used freshly grounded spices to enhance the taste. This spicy fried chicken with pleasing aromatic biryani rice will relish your tastebuds. I am sure this recipe will be a new addition to your weekend menu. Enjoy the joy of home cooking!
chicken – 1 kilo
basmati rice – 1 kilo
onions- 3(medium,cut in to long slices)
green chillis- 10 no.s
gingergarlic paste- 3 tbsp
coriander leaves- handful
curry leaves – few
mint leaves- few
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
chilli powder- 1 tsp
salt as per taste
oil- 4 to 5 tbsp
Spices to be ground:
For chicken: Red chillis- 8 to 9
coriander seeds- 1 tsp
cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
pepper corns- 1 tbsp
For rice: cinnamon – 2
bay leaf- 4
shahjeera- 1 tsp
whole spices to be ground: cardamom- 5 to 6
cloves- 4 to 5
1. Use basmati rice for good aroma.
2. If you like less spicy you can reduce peppers and chillis
3. For 1 cup rice add 1 1/2 cup water.
4. cook in low flame while frying chicken. use heavy bottom kadai.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 50 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 65 MINUTES
CUISINE: SOUTH INDIAN
COURSE: MAIN COURSE
1. Wash chicken and keep aside.
2. Wash rice and soak for 1 hour.
3. Boil water in a big utensil add salt, turmeric 1/4 th tspand garam masala. add chicken to it and cook till it is 70 percent done. Keep cooked chicken aside. Do not discard water, use this stock for cooking rice.
4. Grind all whole spices in to a fine powder. dry fry before.
5. Grind all spices meant for chicken i.e pepper, chillis, cumin andcoriander.
6. In a kadai add onions and fry well. when turns transulesent add ginger garlic paste . saute well.
7. Add chilli powder, salt, turmeric. add ground powder for chicken(pepper,chilli,coriander,cumin)
8. Add curry leaves and boiled chicken . cook in low flame for 10 minutes in low flames. keep stirring.
9. Remove lid and fry for 5 more minutes add whole garam masala powder and stirr well. add coriander leaves and switch off flame.
10. In a cooker heat oil/ghee add bay leaf,star anise,shahjeera,mace, mint leaves,green chillis,1tsp ginger garlic paste one by one and fry well. add coriander leaves too and fry .this gives nice flavour to the rice.
11. Now soaked rice and fry for a while and add measured water i.e chicken stock(for 1 cup rice take 1 1/2 cup water).add salt and mix well.
12.When water starts boiling, keep in low flame and cook for 10 minutes. Switch off.
13. After 20 minutes open lid spread in tray mix carefull and add fried chicken on top of it. mix slightly while serving.
14. Serve hot with raita and salad.