I always wanted to cook in a clay pot since a long time. I included clay pots in my kitchen shelves, on and off but did not incorporate completely in my cooking routine. But the day I prepared biryani in a clay pot I was amazed by its taste, since then I started cooking at least one meal every day. Cooking in earthen pots is not a new concept. Nowadays people are aware of its numerous benefits and switching over to these pots. Clay is alkaline and it interacts with the acidity in the food thereby neutralizing the pH balance and eventually, food healthier and tastier. Due to its porous nature, moisture and aroma tend to stay in the pot without losing nutrients.
✓ clay pot retains the temperature for longer time and no tension of reheating.
✓ adds earthy flavour and aroma to the food
✓ less oil required compared with other methods.
✓clay pot cooked food becomes rich in various minerals such as iron, phosphorus, calcium and magnesium.
Chicken- 500 gm
Rice – 500 gm
Onion- 3( long sliced)
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Green chillies- 5 to 6
Hung curd- 1/2 cup
Saffron- few strands soaked in 1/2 cup warm milk
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Oil/ghee- 1/2 cup
Mint leaves- handful
Coriander leaves- handful
Cloves- 6 to 7
Cinnamon- 1 cm
Cardamom- 3 to 4
Bay leaves- 3 to 4
Star anise- 3
Shajeera- 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg- a pinch(powder)
√ Use basmati rice
√ Marinate and keep in refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours if possible.
√ Preseason clay pot if you are using for first time.
√ Always cook in low flame while cooking in clay pot.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 50 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 70 minutes
In short 4 steps includes:
•Cooking rice along with whole spices
•Cooking marinated chicken
•Layering both chicken and rice in dum
STEP BY STEP EXPLANATION:
1. Fry onions till crisp and golden.
2.crush whole spices in a mortar and pestle.
3. Marinate chicken along with curd, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, salt,oil 1 tsp, fried onions,mint & coriander leaves.
4.wash rice and soak for 1 hour.
5. In a clay pot heat 1 tbsp ghee and add marinated chicken.cook with a lid in low flame.
6. In a separate utensil boil 1 liter water. To that add salt, bay leaves and remaining whole spices.
7. When water starts boiling add soaked rice and cook. When rice is 80%done switch off stove and drain water. keep aside
8.Now check the chicken. when it is 80% done, add cooked rice fried onions, saffron milk, mint& coriander leaves. similarly spread one more layer of rice and saffron milk and remaining fried onion, mint & coriander leaves..
9. Line up the rim of the clay pot with wheat dough and close the lid . cook in dum for 10 minutes in low flame.
10. Switch off and leave for 20 minutes.
11. After 20 minutes open the lid and transfer to a tray, mix well and serve hot with onion raita .