Biryani is one of the few dishes that need no introduction. Each biryani preparation differs from each other. Nizam’s of Hyderabad and Nawab’s of Lucknow were famous for their biryani. India has a variety of Biryani’s to offer. some are locally flavored and few are improvised versions of others.
Interesting fact: Biryani depicted on a 2017 stamp of India.
Chicken – 1 kilo/kg
Rice – 1 kilo/kg
Onion- 4 big
Green chillies -10 to 12
Ginger garlic paste – 3 tbsp
Mint leaves – few
Coriander – 1 small bunch
Coconut – 1 ( take coconut milk out of it)
Saffron – few strands
Oil/ghee – 6 tbsp
Curd – 2 tsp.
Salt to taste.
whole spices (to be ground in to paste)
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cloves – 4
Cardamom – 4
Cinnamon – 1 cm
Poppy seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf – 4 to 5
Cinnamon – 1 cm
Black (big) cardamom – 2
Green (small cardamon) – 4
Star anise(anaasa puvvu) – 2
Wailong / kapok buds(marati mogga) – 2
Sha jeera – 1/2 tsp
Nutmeg(jaajikaya) – small piece
Mace(jaapatri) – 2 .
1. Use heavy bottom utensil for cooking biryani.
2. Measurement of water for rice vary from one another.
3. Mix biryani carefully before serving. Chances of breaking grain may happen.
1. Wash & soak basmati rice in water and keep aside.
2. Wash chicken thoroughly ,marinate n keep aside for one hour.
3. Soak saffron in 2 tsp luke warm milk.
4. Put all the dry roasted spices in a mixer jar n grind well in to a paste. Keep this paste aside.
5. In a pressure cooker take 6 tbsp oil /ghee add all the whole spices .
6. To this add chopped onions,green chillies and mint leaves.
7. Saute onions and add 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste to this n fry well in low flame to avoid sticking at the bottom.
8. Now add marinated chicken to this and close with a lid and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. When chicken is almost cooked add soaked rice( drain soaked water before adding) to the cooker n stirr carefully (rice should not break).
10. Now measure coconut milk and add to the rice and chicken. Add salt , ground masala paste mix well. Finally add saffron milk n close the cooker lid.
Note: For 4 glasses basmati rice(1 kg rice) add 6 glasses thin coconut milk. Use same glass or cup for measuring rice n milk.
11. When steam comes out keep the cooker vistle and turn flame to the low . Exactly after 10 minutes switch off the flame .
12. After 20 minutes open the cooker n mix carefully with a ladle n garnish with coriander leaves .
13 . serve hot with onion raita.(onion raita is a mixture of curd, onions salt and chopped coriander leaves).
Where to buy: