Upma is a famous south Indian breakfast. There are many variations to make upma. Vegetable upma is oneof my favourite option for breakfast or dinner. Veggies makes this dish more nutritious , delicious and colourful. I always add more tomatoes than other vegetables to balance the taste of spices and vegetables. It’s vegetable upma loaded more with tomato flavour. So why late… let’s hop on to the recipe
Semolina / sooji/ upma ravva – 1 glass
Carrots – 2(cut in to cubes)
Potato – 1(cut in to cubes)
Tomatoes – 5(cut in to small pieces)
French beans – 1 bowl(cut in to small pieces)
Onion – 1(cut in to small pieces)
Green chillies – 2 (cut in to small pieces)
Oil / ghee – 4 tbsp
Coriander leaves – few ( finely chopped)
Mint leaves – few
Turmeric powder – pinch
Water – 4 glasses
Salt to taste.
Bay leaves – 2
Cardamom/elachi – 2
Cashew nuts – 6 to 7
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
Cloves – 2
Ginger – finely chopped
Pepper corns – 6 to 7
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
1. Dry fry semolina in a low flame and keep it aside to cool well before you make upma.
2 You can add your choice vegetables like green peas, cauliflower. Increase or decrease vegetable quantity as per your taste.
3. Use ripe and red tomatoes(not the sour ones).
1. In a kadai heat four tbsp oil and add all seasoning spices . Let it splutter.
2. To this add onions chillies and mint leaves. Saute well.
3. When onions turns translucent add carrots, beans and potatoes. Close the lid and cook well for few minutes.
4. When veggies are partially cooked add tomatoes and pinch of turmeric. Close the lid and cook for few more minutes.
5. Now add salt and water. When water boils keep the flame low and slowly add semolina. Keep stirring continuously to avoid formation of lumps.
6. Close the lid cook for 5 minutes. Check in-between. Add half tsp ghee at this stage .
7. After 5 minutes open the lid and transfer in to a casserole.
8. Garnish with cashew nuts and coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with onion raita.