SUPER FOOD !! When we hear this what comes first in our mind ? Expensive walnuts, chia seeds n avacados etc…but we often ignore easiest, cheapest resources with heigh nutritional profile and amazing health benefits. We all know this super food is moringa leaves.
Of all the parts of drumstick tree , the leaves are the most nutritious, excellent source of multi vitamin and proteins.
Amazing health benefits of moringa are:
* 2 times the amount of protein as in yogurt.
* 7 times more vitamin’ c’ as in oranges.
* 4 times more amount of calcium as in cow’s milk.
* 4 times more vitamin ‘A’ than carrots.
* 3 times more potassium than bananas.
* 2 times the amount of iron than spinach.
Drumstick leaves – 1 bowl leaves ( 3 to 4 twigs)
Toor Dal or pigeon pea Dal -1 small cup(100 gm)
Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp( you can take one tomato instead)
Green chillies – 2
Onion -1 small( cut in to small pieces)
red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds _ 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds _ 1/4 tsp
Red chillies _ 2 no.
Garlic _ 4 to 5 pods
Curry leaves _ few
Oil or ghee _ 1 tbsp
Asafoetida _ one pinch.
1. Do not over cook or mash Dal.
2. Use tender moringa leaves for easy cooking and better taste. Remove fine stems while you destem twigs.
3. Soaking Dal few minutes before cooking not only reduces cooking time and aids better nutritional absorption.
1. Wash and soak Dal for ten minutes
2. In a pressure cooker add soaked Dal, onion chopped, green chillies & turmeric. Close the lid & turn on flame.
3. After 2 vistils switch off stove & let it cool.
4. When it’s cool, open lid and add drumstick leaves, salt, chilli powder n turmeric paste. Cook for 5 more minutes or leaves cook well.
5. In a kadai add ghee or oil . To this add mustard seeds, cumin, crushed garlic, curry leaves and asafoetida.
6. Finally add cooked Dal to the seasoning and close the lid so that tempering enhance flavours well in to the Dal.
7. Serve with hot rice and drizzle melted ghee over it.
Give it a try. hope this traditional dal recipe will make your meal a nutrition loaded one .